Sunday, October 16, 2011

Honored

My dad invited my family to a Native American Honor ceremony.  I was honored to be invited and was thankful to have run into him a few days before - receiving his invitation - because the original invite came through e-mail, and I hadn't checked it...so, we would have missed it. Divine appointments are blessings.

Darrell, the boys, and I sat and observed from outside the circle.  Everything new...  I'm thankful that I was able to watch and listen intently for the most part.  Mainly, from my perspective, it was a ceremony to keep age old traditions alive - taught in process - different tribes, different shades; honoring war heroes and others alike.  Not only are Native Americans lacking where honor is concerned - but war heroes in general.  People who put their lives on the line for the freedom of America in wars past were not given honor they deserved apart from the military and their own families.  Special gifts were given from the heart - and identities were accepted and confirmed.  Stories were told - memories were made.  It was an honor to be there and witness it all.  My dad is a handsome man with a great smile every day - but when he is dressed as an Indian, he is even more so and I am very proud to call him my dad.

I wasn't allowed to take pictures during the actual ceremony, but we took several afterwards:


Dad & Debbie


Side profile

Dad & me (& a welcome gift - lavender sashe')

Dad's gift of peyote feathers - parrot I think

The boys with their Grandpa


Dad with his eagle


 




Dad in front of a tepee

cool sun effect


Some of the honorees

The host and hostesses of the ceremony


A peek inside of the tepee




PERFECT post card pic minus the powerlines!

Cool tree!

No comments: