Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Reading the Bible

I was told one time that I was going to go to hell if I read any other version of the bible but the King James version. Needless to say, I avoided the person who told me that like a plague after that! I never particularly liked the King James version; it was too hard to understand and I had no desire to read it - so - I often muse that if I were only to read that version, then, I might end up in hell... lol The truth is something inside gave me peace and I knew that the person was wrong! I now know that was the Holy Spirit. : )

About 16 years later, I learned that there are other versions that may be much closer to the original texts, including my favorite - which I was slightly bothered that it left out some words here and there. Well - maybe it's because those words were not in the original Holy Spirit inspired writings!

Interestingly enough, the verses that left things out had to do with freedom and grace - or lack of due to the good news sounding too good to be true?!

I grew up hearing that the Holy Spirit convicts. It was always well meaning - you know, the devil condemns but the Holy Spirit convicts with no guilt, shame, or condemnation... Well, I recently learned that the Holy Spirit does convict - yes - but, according to John 16:7-11, it's different than what we commonly hear! Jesus became sin that we might be made righteous before God - in and through Himself. Sin no longer has dominion over us. We are forgiven. God does not look at us and see our sin. He sees us through the blood of Jesus!

Oh, what a relief it is to know that!

So what about God's sovereignty. Do we really play a part? Well, defininitely! If we do not choose to believe and make Jesus our Lord and Savior, we will have eternal life in hell instead of heaven! Going back to John 16:9, the 'sin' is 'not believing' in Jesus. So, what about healing - not many people believe that it is always God's will to heal. I didn't believe it until 2006 - not because I didn't want to - but, because I had not been taught that it was. Had I questioned it and opened up my bible, I would have known!

The day I did open it and read, I was excited to see it was true and I believed - but, not wholeheartedly. I still questioned. It took speaking that truth out and hearing it over and over again to build my faith. And oh me of little faith...I had to see it working before I came to believe it with my whole heart. But now - now, there is no question. The truth is rooted deep within me and I BELIEVE. I believe, I believe, I believe!!! Just the same, I believe I am saved and my home is in heaven. I used to question that too - asking Jesus to come live in my heart and forgive me of my sins over and over again. Silently of course - between me and God - but, it feels so good now to know that I know that I know I am definitely going to heaven. : ) I can't remember the last time I asked Him in again due to disbelief - but, not since I started reading my bible for sure!

Drafted on 4-12-10 - not sure why I didn't post...

No comments: